Saturday, April 28, 2012

Domestic Geometrics

Of COURSE I didn't go to the show as most peeps know, Balenciaga is a fortress that most people won't ever conquer.  Buuuuut... and I'll maintain this, a resee of the collection in the showroom is pretty awesome too, not least because touching the fabrication feats that Nicholas Ghesquiere pushed in this collection is pretty crucial to understand what the heck all these domestic textures are all about.  I snapped some of my favourite bits and bobs from a collection that had so many strands going on that it's basically a fabric fetishist's joy to go through on the rails... puffed this, cut-out that, padded stuff, embroidered bits.  Oh and all in a colour palette that bounces off an off-kilter and so-wrong-it's-right exuberance.  From catwalk images, my impressions were that at times, pieces seemed like they were forward-thinking for the sake of being forward-thinking.  It wasn't until I saw the pieces in person that I fully got the point of riffing off domestic surfaces and textures...

IMG_1261

IMG_1262 IMG_1264

IMG_1274 IMG_1277

IMG_1278 IMG_1280

IMG_1293 IMG_1292

IMG_1299

That said, the shoes were an instant winner for me with Pierre Hardy probably taking the shoes to an all new maxed-out high.... so of course, it was no hardship to see them up close in the flesh... yes, they're heavy but I'm most tickled that even the most complex of designs will be making it onto the shop floor, mismatched blocks et all...

IMG_1301

IMG_1302

IMG_1308

IMG_1309

IMG_1303

IMG_1305

IMG_1304

IMG_1307

IMG_1311

IMG_1310

IMG_1306

More related to the theme of the article: More related to the theme of the article:

No comments:

Post a Comment